Sunday, February 20, 2011


I haven't allowed my self to break down and cry until this morning. The hot tears roll down my face as I type and pray, all at the same time. My heart is beyond heavy and I feel the hurt dripping from it. Mason woke me at 4am with a cough and I couldn't sleep then.

Friday my Dad came home for lunch and my Mom was lying on the couch. She said her head was hurting. My Dad went out back to check on the dogs and came back in several minutes later. She was in the floor and didn't respond to him. He called me and she was rigid and still non responsive. I called 911. We got her to the local hospital and they did a CT scan and labs. Nothing except her sodium was low.

In the meantime my brother had went to get my sil from another hospital an hour away where she had been with her Mom that had just had brain surgery. They came immediately to the hospital.

Daddy I were with Mom while the nurse was changing out something on the iv. They had decided to admit her for observation. Then it happened, she started seizing. My Dad and I both were in shock. She was given Adavan. We would come to find out it was a grand mal seizure but not for sometime. Transport by ambulance was arranged to a larger hospital an hour away.

Mike had sent his wife home to get ready for their son's tournament basketball game and he waited with Mom. I took Daddy home to get a shower and I to get somethings to stay with Mom and a few of her things. I had to arrange for childcare for the boys their supper.

We finally got to the hospital and Mom was there in her room with Mike. Mom was out of it from the meds. Before the Adavan she didn't know much; her name and date of birth. By then it was about 6pm. My brother got a text from out cousin saying that my uncle (Daddy's brother) was not doing well and they needed to come. He was on the floor below in ICU. AS they went out the door CODE BLUE was called over the intercom, not once but three times. They were calling the doctors from Mom's floor there. I waited with Mom who was still asleep for an hour when Daddy reappeared. Uncle Virgil's heart had stopped, he was on a ventilator and there wasn't much time left. The doctors said he would pass before morning. None of us had eaten and by then Mike was back in my Mom's room. I had gotten Daddy and I a pack of peanut butter crackers and a Coke. John arrived then.

Daddy was give out and it was getting later. There was no change in Mom and we wouldn't see the doctor until morning. Mike, John and Daddy got to the waiting area in ICU right as the news was given, Uncle Virgil was gone. He and Aunt Bonnie (who passed away a year before from cancer) could be together again, in heaven. John stayed with me until after midnight and then went home.

Sleep was not found for me or Mom. They gave Mom her regular meds about 10pm and they kept her awake. She had not eaten or drinken all day and brought her a cold plate. I fed her what she would eat. By midnight, when John left she was confused and wanted up. She tried to get up numerous times while talking out of her head and pulling wires and leads off. By 3:30 I was exhausted. They came in then and gave her a breathing treatment and at 4:30 did blood work. She finally ate some breakfast (a few bites) I fed her and Daddy arrived at 8am. I started making phone calls and went down to the cafeteria and got him some breakfast. She was still groggy and confused.

Around 9am the neurologist came in and we could not have been more pleased; it was Daddy's neurologist! He talked with us and gave us some hopeful news. He seemed to think that Moms problems were a myriad of factors. An infection, low sodium, prolonged use of non narcotic pain meds and some other minor things. However, he wanted to do a EEG and an MRI to make sure everything was normal there.

I went home to see the boys and sleep an hour or so and Mike went to stay with Daddy, after feeding all of the cows on 2 farms.. John and I picked up Mike's boys and one of their friends and took them to the hospital about 3 with us so they and Mike could go see Alabama play a game they'd had tickets for. Daddy went home about 4pm.
The tests were done and it was not what we had wanted to hear. The EEG showed she is having continual seizures just not grand mals. The anti-seizure meds were started. The results of the MRI showed an abnormality on the right side. We were told either a tumor or fluid. They also did a lumbar puncture. Mom was asleep with the help of Adavan (used to keep her calm and still during lumbar puncture).

The nurse came in with more antibiotics for the iv. She told us the doctor would be around in the morning (this morning) to explain things but he was treating Mom for possible meningitis. Mike made it back. He stayed with Mom last night and we brought the kids home. After paying the sitter (our niece) we hit the bed. My bed had never felt so good!

Please pray for us and the doctors but especially my Mom. She is very sick. We are trying to make arrangements for someone to stay with her at all times, make arrangements for the boys, get John back to work on Tuesday, work around the visitation and funeral and keep up with farm work as well as household things.
I will keep you posted as time allows.


Mimi said...

I am sorry that you have been going through so much. I have also been going through very similar situations, so I know the stress and worry that you are dealing with. It is good that you are able to talk about it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Nikki said...

Oh, Marva! I wish I could give you a hug. But I am praying for you, your mother, and your family.

Julie said...

Dearest Marva, I am so sorry . . . what a stressful ordeal. Praying for you and your family, the doctors and for God's Ultimate Healing.

Love and Many Hugs,

Nico said...

Praying for you and your family and your Mother Marva. We are all thinking of you here, and praying that all is well soon.

Ellie said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Marva....

Nellilou said...

Oh my are all definitely in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Love and God's Blessings to you all


Nellilou said...

Oh my are all definitely in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Love and God's Blessings to you all


jdjmcc said...

I'm so very sorry. That is just too much for one family in one night! I'll be praying for your family- you all need definitive answers and good rest. I hope you are able to get some and that your mom gets all the help and healing she needs!
Sincccerely, Jessica

mamacantrix said...

Praying perfectly sufficient grace above and below you, at your right hand and your left, before you and behind, within you and without, covering you all in love, strength, and peace. All my love, Dear friend.

smilernpb said...

Oh Marva, apologies for the delayed reply - I have been away from blogland visiting family. I am sorry to hear about your Uncle. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. I hope your Mum gets better quickly. Sending you lots of love and hugs xo