Friday, March 9, 2012

Lasting Time and Sweet Memories

The last few weeks have been a blur. I literally have been flying through the time. Our church family provided almost a dozen meals in a matter of two weeks....we are forever thankful. Almost every night there was enough for my parents and my aunt as well. Praise the Lord!

Mom was very sick once again. Daddy and I had her to the doctor twice and the hospital once in two days time. Little John was not himself and feeling quite badly. I had been canceling appointments left and right. John had been off work for 2 weeks.

On Tuesday February 28th John and I discussed the fact that I had to keep my dental appointment the next day as I had a tooth cracked and broken and was in pain. Nor was the situation good that close to my MRSA infected sinuses. Thankful that I am on the Doxycycline and felt as "safe" as anyone could in that situation. When i walked in the dental office (this is a great group of females who love the Lord), I explained that any given time I may need to leave due to my father-in-law's declining condition and impending death. We had been told just two days before that his eyes were "fixed", his toes had already curled and he had no food or drink for 48 hours. The dentist prayed over me (mainly for peace and comfort) as she started her work.

At 9:53am I got a text from John that read, "He's Home!" My heart dropped, because I knew John was there by himself and I wanted to be there, ASAP! As the dentist finished as quickly as possible (with a temporary crown) I texted our preacher's wife and thankfully our preacher was able to be there in 2 minutes with John. I arrived 18 minutes later. The smell of death is like no other, it lingers with you always. You never forget it. John was taking things well, better than I would in that situation.

After the funeral home came and picked up the body we went to pick up a few last minute things and pick out a casket spray. I had never purchased one before and the cost was completely on us (as John is the only biological child and the 3 half sisters wanted to purchase a simple wreath). We were floored at the price, not that we minded and thankful we had the money but $425.00 surprised us. We also had a 5x7 framed of the boys sitting with Pawpaw McRae in their cowboy gear and cowboy hats he had bought them at the rodeo the year before. We had a sweet arrangement with 2 red roses attached to it and it was set in the corner of the casket.

That afternoon we picked up the boys after school and came home. We told them Pawpaw was in heaven and all better now. That he was happy and he and Mawmaw were together again. John got really sad and had a few tears but Mason cried out for the longest. After supper they seemed fine. John had some questions but was very "grown up" about things. The boys kept telling each other (and anyone that would listen) that if we all let Jesus live in our hearts that we would get to be with Pawpaw McRae and Mawmaw one day in heaven. So sweet!

On Thursday we went to the funeral home and made the final arrangements while my brother took my Daddy to the orthopedic surgeon. We had more errands to run that day and the visitation was that night. We let the boys go for a little while and "see Pawpaw" one last time. As the crowd started pouring in our music minister and his girlfriend took the boys back to the house and kept them while we finished up at the funeral home. Our church had brought a sandwich tray, all the condiments and bread, a gallon each of milk and tea. It was a welcome sight upon our arrival at 8:30 that night.

The funeral time had to be moved from 2pm to 11am the next day as it was tornado Friday and the sky was more than eerie! By the time we reached the cemetery it was 80 degrees! After the funeral we elected to come home and we had some friends to bring some food over. Our church had offered to cook for the WHOLE family but John just wanted some time to ourselves. School had let out early and the boys had ridden the bus home with my brother and was at his house playing. Before the weather turned early he brought them home and we just chilled out.

Daddy found out with an MRI that he tore the cartilage in his left knee but the overall structure of the knees are in great condition to be 78 almost 79 years old! So happy for that. He is doing therapy and goes back next month.

I had to cancel my Mom's appointment with the rheumatologist that morning and she was getting worse, much worse. I got it rescheduled for Wednesday of this week. We saw the doctor and he could not believe the shape she was in. She was using a cane and still not walking well. The tremors were back with a vengeance and her fever was 102.8 when we got there. It is the You read more about it in the link. Not only has she been out of remission for over a year but it is at the worst it has been, leaving her mostly in the bed and unable to do common everyday tasks and feeling awful. She got an iv infusion as well as her Prednisone increased from 30mg daily to 60mg daily. It has been 48 hours since that and she is a good bit better! We are hoping for even more improvement. We go back in three weeks.

Wednesday afternoon we learned that my sister-in-law's Mom's cancer (brain tumor) has come back and the prognosis is not good. She will start experimental treatments next week. They are a very private family (and if you are related please keep it to yourself and just lift them up in prayer).

We cherish your prayers a this time. God is good and merciful and just and I am holding on to HIM for my strength! Blessings to you all!

No comments: