Monday, July 14, 2008

Less Than You Are Thinking

I am a very busy person, espceially these days. Many of you think I get more done than the average person. That could be right or maybe wrong. This season of the year is filled with me working many hours outside of the home as well as canning and freezing for the long hard winter. Those two things along are quite time consuming.

Well, something has had to give, as I have learned over the last few weeks of this new "season" in my life. I am almost ashamed to admit (I am only human though) that my menu plan went out the door last month and i did not even post one for this month. I doubt very seriously that I will get one made for August. Most nights we have fruit, mainly peaches, cantaloupe and / or watermelon. The boys usually have a healthy veggie dinner with some type of meat. I cook 3 times a week for them and swap it all up throughlout the week. I cook one really elaborate (southern style veggie dinner for us and my parents each week. We have also eaten out a half dozen times the last 5 weeks or so.


As for my house we are doing the best we can, I have a housekeeper that comes bimonthly and I am so grateful for her. The laundry is another story all together. I cannot keep up. The boys have been sick and so have I so we are really going through the piles here. I can get it done, but not folded, put away and ironed. my nephew is dating a sweet young lady that needs some community service hours as coursework for college. She talked it over with her professor and she okayed her to use me for that. She will come in one day a week and help with the laundry and to get things caught back up for the week. Praise the Lord!


This past week I worked 87 hours. The boys stay with my Mother's helper or my mom when I have to work and they are not in preschool. Hubby worked 68 hours. We are both beat. I have had several emails about why do you work so much? The truth is that when you farm, you only have one season to harvest the yeild in. I will be home from November 1 until the end of May, before I have to go back to work. I am thankful we have Hubby's income to live off of. Just think if you were a fulltime farmer, you would need to make enough of money (income) during the 4-6 months of harvest to last for all 12 months. While it's good it's good, but you had beter get it while you can. That is why we work so hard. God has been so good to us though! Praise him!


As for everything else we are doing the best we can. I have laryngitis and I mean cannot even croak or make a sound. Kind of scary, especially considering how much i love to talk. I am finally getting over this awful summer cold though. The boys are still a little sick, more especially Tiger. He is cutting a molar tooth and feels plain rotten. His fever spiked last night and we called the nurse. She said he needed a recheck with the peds this morning. So he and I will be heading to the doctor.

Try going to a framer's market and selling peaches for a day not being able to talk. (Hubby went to pick up the slack). At least I can sign to the boys and they understand! I woke up Saturday morning and couldn't speak. I've had an awful cold and am sure that's the problem.


I hope you all have a great week and maqny blessings in it!

8 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I chuckled when I read that people are asking you why you work so hard. The life of a farmer is not led at your whim. People have moved so far from teh country life that they no longer realize how hard and long the days are. Thats wehre the old saying came from. "Make hay while the sun shines."

I thought you had decided to put the boys in preschool. What happened on that front?

Anonymous said...

Oh Marva, sending prayers and blessings your way! I have friends who are farmers, and don't fully understand, but have some idea what you go through each busy season. I also know that keeping up with our small garden can be overwhelming sometimes with both of us working, and know how much much larger of a scale your farm is!!

I hope you are all feeling better soon.

Take care,
Steph

Nikki said...

Marva, what happened to the boys' preschool? I thought they would be going there this summer while you worked. Did it fall through?

Nico said...

My goodness you are so busy, and I hope that you are feeling much better soon. Wishing you all the best this Summer, and sending big hugs your way.

MyKidsMom said...

I'm happy for you about the extra help. Hope the voice clears up soon. Take care~

Anonymous said...

Remember, one day at a time! Hope you are feeling better soon! Hugs.......Ellie

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you are all sick right now! Wishing you well soon, Heather

Anonymous said...

Marva - you have an award!!! come and see