Friday, December 14, 2007

Our Farm Life

I thought I would post about what we grow, where we live and what it is that I do.



We grow peaches, apples, pears, plums, nectarines, blueberries, blackberries, figs, muscadines, scuppernongs and have honey bees.



We also row crop with all types of vegetables, melons, pumpkins and small ornamentals. We raise beef cattle as well.



My Daddy has been growing fruit (and other crops) since 1952. We all (my brother and his family, my parents and my family) live on one of my parents' farms. The one we live on is about 50 acres or a little more. The big farm (or the lower farm as we refer to it as) is over 150 acres. We have a couple more small farms as well.



My brother is almost 13 years older than I and we get along great. He and his beautiful wife have 2 boys as well. They are 15 and 9 years of age.



Our parents are wonderful. They have taught us everything we know and how to work hard for what we get. Lots of love, blood , sweat and tears have went into this business.



We have an indoor road side market. It is open from June until Thanksgiving. We also have contracts with several grocery stores for our peaches and then we go to a half dozen or farmer type markets. We grow more peaches than any thing.



It is a family operation through and through. My Daddy has a couple of sisters and a brother-in-law that works for us. My sil is off work most of the summer and she helps. Her parents help too. My brother drives a school bus, but does most of the picking. My hubby is a harzardous waste hauler, but helps as often as he can. We all just pitch in and do whatever needs to be done. We have a couple of part time hands that hae been with us for several years.



We are so blessed to get to work together and live her together.



If you ever need to know how to plant a pumpkin patch, change the oil in a tractor or "pull" a calf, feel free to ask!;)

1 comment:

MyKidsMom said...

I loved reading this- like I said, I had no idea you had a big family operation like this going on- how wonderful!

I go to many of our local farms for my fruits and veggies (when in season),they definitely have far better produce than the supermarkets- wish we could come to yours!

Now to pray about that weather- take care.